Friday, January 28, 2011

Response to Yen's Opening Statement

I decided to respond to Yen’s opening statement. As I was reading I saw we had the same viewpoint, so instead of rebutting to him I am going to respond to him by giving him tips about what he should add to his statement. The first thing that I noticed was that he had linked the sources in the statement, but they didn’t have anything to do with what he was talking about. For instance one thing he talked about was a baby who was cured of cancer by genetic mutation, but the link didn’t say anything about a baby being cured of cancer. I’m not sure if he put the wrong link or did it on purpose, but next time he should look over what he has done so far. Another thing I noticed was that he didn’t have a list of his sources at the end. He really needs to make sure he does that, or he could be caught for plagiarizing other peoples work. I don’t think he did it on purpose this time, and I was probably an accident.

I was reading the rest of his piece when I came across this. First of all, it is the parent’s decision on how they raise their child, whether being hard on them school wise, or letting them decide their future, etc. In the same way, they should have all the right to mutate their children’s genetics. If the family is ready to put their child through genetic customizations, then they should. The same should be held for such actions on the physical appearance of the child (but I think this is completely unethical. Children should be born the way they were meant to, not the way they are artificially made. Their appearance is one of the factors what shapes their life, and changes of that may result in a completely different person.)I don’t think that this could have been written any better because I agree with everything he said. All of his points were on target, from children being born naturally, to ‘changes may result in a completely different person’. All he needs to work on is his citation and he should have a solid statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment